The in-person part of the competition will be held on Saturday, March 25th, 2023. The remote part of the competition will be conducted over Zoom on March 21st, 22nd, and 23rd, 7 pm to 9 pm EST.
Thank you for your interest in the 2023 Carnatic Music Competition.
In order to encourage children and youngsters in the community and beyond who learn Carnatic music and to have an opportunity to showcase such talented youngsters, Dhvani organizes an annual competition event. The competition is held each year in fond memory of our charming friend and mentor, the late Sri S. Tyagaraja Rao. Rao mama was an indefatigable connoisseur of Carnatic Music as well as an ardent supporter of children’s music. In his memory, we dedicate ourselves to keeping this art form alive in our minds and hearts.
We welcome all Carnatic music students, learning both vocal and instruments between the ages of 5 and 21, to participate in this joyous event.
The competition is judged by a group of professional Carnatic musicians invited specially for this occasion. There will be a special concert by the judges followed by a music knowledge quiz on Friday, March 24th. Youngsters from as far away as Detroit, Pittsburgh, Washington DC, New Jersey, Minneapolis, California, Singapore, and India have joined to participate in this event in previous years. We encourage parents and children to think of this as an opportunity to share and learn more than to compete and win. We think of all our participants as winners.
We are again offering both an in-person and remote option to participate and compete. All participants have the eligibility to choose between either of the two options:
The in-person competition will be held between 9:00 AM and 4:00 PM EST on Saturday, March 25th, 2023, at the Dublin Rec Center. This year we will also have a Music knowledge quiz immediately following the judge’s concert on March 24th.
The remote participants will be offered an evening, 7 pm to 9 pm EST timeslot, on March 21st, 22nd, or 23rd to join and present on Zoom ..
The age categories and time slots will be published once all the registrations are processed. These will be published on March 16th.
Please note that all registrations and fees are final and non-refundable.
• Competition Registration January 10, 2023 – March 1, 2023
• Virtual on Zoom – Tuesday March 21st, Wednesday March 22nd, and Thursday March 23rd at 7 pm – 9 pm (EST)
• In Person – Saturday March 25th at 8: 50 am – 4:00 pm (EST)
• Awards Ceremony on Zoom – Sunday, March 26th at Noon – (EST)
INSTRUCTIONS FOR ONLINE PARTICIPANTS
Thank you for choosing to participate online in Dhvani’s Carnatic Music Competition 2023.
The online participation will be through Zoom on March 21st, 22nd, and March 23rd, from 7 pm to 9 pm EST.
Please see when your session is scheduled and the reporting time. Please make sure to take note of the following to help you have the best experience.
- Ensure you have a good laptop or iPad or Smart Phone with proper mike settings that are pre-tested with the Zoom client on your device. Use the settings below as a reference to set up the Zoom client.
- Join the Zoom session using the link provided at or before the Reporting time indicated corresponding to your age group. Announce yourself to the host in the Main room and the host will then transfer you to the right break-out room where you will be performing. Make sure the shruti box and any instruments needed are ready and set to go. Do not move away once you have joined.
- Keep yourself muted until your turn is announced. Confirm with the moderator your name when prompted.
- If you do not join at the reporting time, you will not be able to participate. If you are not available when called, the moderator will automatically move to the next participant and you will need to wait until the end of the group to perform. Once your group is completed, you will not be able to participate.
- Keep the video on and look into the mike while performing. (Parents – no off-camera assistance or interference, please. It will only work against your child’s success).
- After your performance, put yourself on mute. You are welcome to stay if you prefer or drop from the call.
- Please note that we will not have time on the Zoom session to troubleshoot any technical difficulties. So, please do ensure you have a good, stable, preferably wired, internet connection to the device and Zoom configured.
- Prizes will be announced in a Zoom session on Sunday, March 26th, at noon EST. Winner names will also be published on the Dhvani website and Facebook page. The participant and award certificates will be emailed by Monday, April 3rd.
Age Categories & Reporting Times
Reporting times will be available on the website on the 16th of March. Please ensure that you arrive or check in on or before that time.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR IN PERSON PARTICIPANTS
Thank you for choosing to participate in the Dhvani Carnatic Music Competition this year. Please take note of the following important instructions to make your experience with the competition, the best.
- The in-person part of the competition will be held on Saturday, March 25th at the Dublin Rec Center. The doors will be open at 8.40 am and the competition starts at 9.00 am. We expect to conclude by 4.00 pm
- Reporting times will be available on the website on the 16th of March. Please ensure that you arrive or check in on or before that time.
- We are not planning to serve any food or drinks at the venue.
- We strongly encourage participants to bring their own non-plastic bottles for drinking water. Dhvani does not allow the use or display of plastic bottles.
- Please check in when you arrive at the front desk and you will be directed to the performing or waiting room depending on your time of arrival.
- Rec Center is sensitive to the number of people who are in the lobby during the event. Please collaborate by staying in the waiting or performing rooms.
- Please maintain the decorum to not disturb the ongoing performances and other guests of the Dublin Rec center. Strictly avoid entering and leaving the performance rooms during an ongoing performance.
- All Participants, please bring your own Shruthi box, preferably battery-powered to avoid plugging in on the stage.
- After your performance, you will be required to remain in the room until the age group you are performing in is finished.
- Participant certificates will be emailed to you by April 3rd.
- Prizes will be announced in a Zoom call on Sunday afternoon at noon and and published on Dhvani’s website and Facebook Page.